Wednesday, March 7, 2018

A night of reflection...

As I sit in Hospice with my father I cannot even begin to measure the joy and blessings being this man's daughter has given me.

He is a strong, mild, wise and kind man who shaped me into a woman who can "do anything a man can do, just prettier - and in high heels".   He never made me feel as if I was for one moment a disappointment.  A failure was a moment to see how we can make it right and do it better.   He taught me work is a blessing, and blessings should never be taken for granted.   He taught me unselfish love for everyone.   EVERYONE.  He would, and has, literally given the shirt off his back to people. 
.... And God Blessed.

He prized his family above all.  He was home for breakfast, lunch and dinner with his family pretty much every day of his life.   He and mom had a bond and friendship that was uncanny.  His Irish wit kept her on her toes, and his ornery side kept him flirting with her up until he could not speak.   One of the last things he said was that he loved her.   That's my dad.   Unselfish to a fault.  Always looking for opportunity to love his family. 

As I sit with him now, watching him, praying over him, I see still this strong man.   My superhero who could make every pain go away, make me smile with just a glimmer in his eye.   Holding his hand, I still feel such strength and recall all the times those hands patted my hair and let me know I was his precious treasure, his Baby Girl. 

I will miss his eyes that sparkle with such mischief.  His constant singing or whistling while we did, some little thing in the garage, just to keep his hands busy.   His eyes that told every mood, every emotion every thought. 

I know I got a special gift.   My name was chosen by my parents before they ever had boy 1.   Then mom made dad wait 21 years before he got to give it to me.   I think that is my best birthday present ever.   I will always be and always have been Donna Devine.   Daughter of  Donald Devine, Father, Husband, Grandfather, Teacher.. and the influence to the story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment